Why is vitamin K important? Why can’t I just give PCC?
- PCCs reverse warfarin for only a short period of time (6 hours)
- Majority of patients reach target INRs at 24 hours post-vitamin K administration
- Vitamin K given intravenously starts to work within 4-8 hours, giving sustained warfarin reversal. 1-4
- Meehan R, Tavares M, Sweeney J. Clinical experience with oral versus intravenous vitamin K for warfarin reversal. Transfusion 2013; 53:491-8
- Keeling D, Baglin T, Tait C, et al., British Committee for Standards in Haematology Guidelines on oral anticoagulation with warfarin - fourth edition. Br J Haematol 2011; 154:311-24.
- Guyatt GH, Akl EA, Crowther M, Gutterman DD, Schuünemann HJ, American College of Chest Physicians Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis Panel. Executive summary: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2012;141(Suppl):7S-47S.
- Tran HA, Chunilal SD, Harper PL, Tran H, Wood EM, Gallus AS, Australasian Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ASTH). An update of consensus guidelines for warfarin reversal. Med J Aust 2013; 198:198-9